Map Finder
E-mail Print

History and culture

Uredi podatke

2 B.C. 

A Roman castrum was built on the small peninsula which is today the nucleus of the old town.

1 A.D. 

During the rule of Emperor Augustus, the castrum was officially declared a town and a part of the Roman colony.

3 A.D.

The town had an organised Christian community and an early Christian church complex, and it became an Episcopal centre at the turn of the 3rd and 4th centuries.


After the fall of the Roman Empire, the town had various different rulers. In 476 it became under the rule of the Ostrogoths.


Byzantine rule started in Poreč

6th century 

Euphrasius’ Basilica was built, which today is the most well preserved and important site in Poreč.

End of the 6th century 

The Croats arrived in the Poreč area, and the first long term settlement was built in 620.

After 788 

The town fell under Frankish rule.

12th century 

After short period of independence, the town was ruled by the Aquileia Patriarchs.


Poreč became a part of the Venetian Republic in this year, who ruled it for more than five centuries.


The town was destroyed by the Genovese.

End of the 16th century and beginning of the 17th century 

The Black Death came to Poreč and significantly reduced the population.

In the second half of the 17th century 

The town and surroundings areas are inhabited by settlers from south Dalmatia.


After the fall of the Venetian Republic, Poreč fell under Napoleonic rule.


Poreč became a part of the Austro-Hungarian rule


The first tourist guide about Poreč is printed with a description and pictures of the town. 

From 1861 

Poreč became the capital town of Istria and the centre of the Istrian parliament with schools, administrative and court institutions.


The “Parenzana” narrow gauge railway line was built that connected Trieste to Poreč.


The first Poreč hotel is built, Hotel Riviera.

1920 -1943 

Poreč is a part of the Kingdom of Italy.

September 1943 

Together with Istria, Poreč becomes a part of Croatia.


The town was badly damaged in air raids.

30 April 1945

Renovation of the damaged town and cultural monuments began.                        




Fill in the necessary fields